Former US Rep. Anthony Weiner Faces Charges In Sexting Case

Evrard Martin
Мая 20, 2017

Former U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner has pleaded guilty to transmitting sexual material to a minor and could get years in prison.

Former U.S. Congressman Anthony Weiner wept on Friday as he pleaded guilty to sending sexually explicit messages to a teenage girl, ending an investigation into a "sexting" scandal that played a role in last year's U.S. presidential election.

A law enforcement official said Weiner has agreed to plead guilty to a charge of transferring obscene material to a minor. Through approximately March 2016, I engaged in obscene communication with this teenager, including sharing explicit images and encouraging her to engage in sexually explicit conduct, just as I had done and continued to do with adult women. These destructive impulses brought great devastation to family and friends, and destroyed my life's dream of public service.

Weiner, who lives in Manhattan and represented NY in Congress from 1999 to 2011, resigned after revelations that he was sending sexually explicit messages to multiple women.

"I knew this was as morally wrong, as it was unlawful", he said.

Last September, the 15-year-old girl told The Daily Mail that the two of them "carried on a months-long sexual relationship". He was aware of her age, said acting Manhattan U.S. Attorney John H. Kim.

In 2011, his tenure as a New York Democratic congressman fell apart when he tweeted a photograph of himself aroused and wearing only his underwear. Trump and other Republicans accused her of endangering national security by exposing classified information to potential hacking.

Weiner is expected to appear before a federal judge in Manhattan at 11 a.m.

During the investigation into Weiner's alleged text message to the teen, at least one device had been found to have allegedly been used by both Weiner and his now estranged wife Huma Abedin, Clinton's aide.

The investigation led FBI agents to seize his laptop computer, which led to the discovery of a new cache of emails that Clinton had sent to Abedin.

In late October, days before the election, then FBI director James Comey stunned the country by announcing that his agency was reopening its closed investigation into Mrs Clinton's handling of State Department business on a private email server so it could analyse the newly discovered correspondence.

That inquiry was brief. Days before the November presidential election, now-former FBI director James Comey told Congress about the FBI investigation into emails between Clinton and her aides, The Times reported a year ago. A message left with a representative for Abedin seeking comment Friday morning was not immediately returned.

Two years later, he attempted a political comeback and ran for New York City mayor, but his bid imploded when more online exchanges with women surfaced, including messages he traded with a woman named Sydney Leathers under the pseudonym "Carlos Danger".

D'autres rapports

Discuter de cet article