Car bomb in southwest Pakistan kills at least 11, wounds 20

Claudine Rigal
Juin 24, 2017

Militants from the Islamic State group abducted and killed two Chinese nationals in Quetta last month.

Earlier this year, on February 13, a blast took place near the Saryab Bridge in Quetta killing two personnel of the bomb disposal squad and leaving 11 injured.

The explosion targeted a police checkpost near the complex housing the Balochistan police chief's office, local police officer Muhammad Akbar said as quoted by Pakistani media.

An official from Balochistan's bomb disposal unit said the auto contained up to 95 kg of explosives.

On March 31 this year, the city had suffered a similar tragedy when 23 people were killed in a vehicle bomb blast near an Imambargah at midday.

Later, the Islamic State group said in a competing claim that it was behind the attack.

At least 40 people were killed and almost 100 wounded Friday in four separate bomb and gun attacks in three major Pakistani cities, officials said.

The powerful blast took place near Inspector General of Police Ehsan Mehboob's office on Gulistan Road area of the provincial capital, Quetta.

DIG Abdul Razzaq Cheema said that it was a suicide blast as per eyewitnesses, however, an investigation into the matter is underway.

The attacked happened when police stopped the auto to search it at a checkpoint.

Jamaat ur Ahrar, a splinter group of the Pakistani Taliban, claimed responsibility for the attack in a message sent to Reuters by spokesman Asad Mansur.

At least 30 of the wounded were in critical condition, according to hospital officials, and some of the severely injured were ferried to Peshawar, the capital of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Province.

The first blast went off near a bus terminal at the market, Dawn reported, while the second happened as rescuers rushed to help those injured in the first explosion.

Police and rescue officials cover a body after a blast in Quetta, Pakistan June 23, 2017.

The Prime Minister expressed deep grief and sorrow over the loss of precious lives in the blast and prayed for eternal peace of the departed souls and grant of courage to the bereaved families to bear this irreparable loss.

The first explosion occurred in Akbar Khan Market, where a bus terminal is also located, during rush hour in the market.

D'autres rapports CampDesrEcrues

Discuter de cet article