Grenfell Tower Fire Victim Count Increases, Police Investigate Possible Crimes

Claudine Rigal
Juin 20, 2017

Members of emergency services work inside the burnt out remains of the Grenfell Tower in North Kensington, London, on June 18, 2017.

In other developments, a company that renovated the tower denied that cladding on the building was banned in the United Kingdom after comments made by Chancellor Philip Hammond. The cause of the massive blaze is still under investigation, but anger has mounted in the community amid reports that the rain-screen cladding on the exterior of Grenfell Tower may have spread the flames.

Days after a blaze tore through Grenfell Tower in London, the death toll continues to rise: City police announced Saturday that 58 people "are missing and we assumed likely to have died".

Briefing reporters at police headquarters, Metropolitan Police Stuart Cundy became visibly upset as he described conditions in the charred tower, where a search and recovery operation is expected to last weeks.

The terms of reference for a public inquiry into a fire at a London tower block that killed 79 people are being drafted and Prime Minister Theresa May knows people want answers quickly on the disaster, her spokesman said yesterday.

Cundy said the "complex" and "exhaustive" inquiry will focus on a range of issues including how the building was constructed, a recent refurbishment of it, how it is managed and maintained and fire safety measures.

Two British ministers say the cladding used in a renovation of Grenfell Tower may have been banned under United Kingdom building regulations.

The government is struggling to find temporary housing for people who lived in the 24-story tower.

The venue had been a focal point for efforts to support those affected by the fire which engulfed the apartment tower in a matter of minutes. She said: "Frankly, the support on the ground for families who needed help or basic information in the initial hours after this appalling disaster was not good enough".

May and her ministers have said they will do all they can to help those left homeless after the blaze and make sure other high-rise buildings, usually home to poorer people, are checked and safe.

British health authorities will also provide long-term bereavement counselling for those who lost loved ones in the tragedy. She also says she will receive daily reports from the stricken neighborhood.

Images have also been released by the police from inside the gutted 24-storey high rise in west London.

Downing Street said desperate families got £500 ($879) in cash on Sunday to be followed by a £5000 ($8791) bank transfer tomorrow - after victims told of getting just £10 ($17) a day so far.

D'autres rapports CampDesrEcrues

Discuter de cet article

SUIVRE NOTRE JOURNAL