British-Australian 7-year-old among dead in Barcelona attack

Claudine Rigal
Août 21, 2017

Officials believe the two attacks are linked to each other as well as with an explosion at a house on Wednesday evening in the town of Alcanar that left one person dead.

Surveillance video from inside a Barcelona museum captured images of the van used in the fatal attack on pedestrians speeding down the Las Ramblas promenade where 13 people were killed and many more were wounded. May Julian rest in peace.

The family appealed for information through social media.

"The Foreign Office is offering consular assistance to those who were involved in the attack and their families, and are working urgently to see if there are others who need their help", May said.

Elke Vanbockrijck, aged 44, from Belgium, has been identified by officials.

Ms Vanbockrijck was described as very committed by the president of the KFC Heur Tongeren football team, who said she was at the club almost every day with her sons, who are aged 10 and 14.

"I was at her side helping her, telling her, 'be calm, don't worry".

Granada grandfather Francisco Lopez Rodriguez, 60, was confirmed as having lost his life by Spanish daily El Pais.

Raquel Baron Lopez, his niece, posted a series of desperate tweets saying she was looking for him in hospitals across the city, but to no avail.

She confirmed his death in the early hours of Friday, stating he had been hit by the van and had died on the spot.

The 61-year-old, from Zaragoza, north-east Spain, was with her husband and sister, who were both injured in the attack, according to Radio Television Espanola.

"The Australian Government is deeply saddened to confirm that Julian Cadman, a seven year old Australian boy, was among those killed in the terrorist attack in Barcelona", the country's Minister for Foreign Affairs Julie Bishop said in a statement.

Family member Debbie Cadman said on Facebook: "It is beyond words what we are experiencing at the moment".

"He turned up to work this morning, turned the news on this morning at 6 o'clock, heard about it, tried to ring his Mrs, couldn't get hold of her", he said.

"We have found Jom (my daughter in law) and she is [in a] serious but stable condition in hospital".

Another Sydney woman, Suria Intan, who was on the last few days of a European holiday with friends, is also in a serious condition in hospital. "We're all going to miss him".

"He was one of us at Tom's hardware, everyone knew who he was".

An American, Jared Tucker of California, was also killed in the tragedy.

D'autres rapports CampDesrEcrues

Discuter de cet article

SUIVRE NOTRE JOURNAL