CIA Director Mike Pompeo: Iran, Hezbollah Are in Venezuela

Claudine Rigal
Août 13, 2017

In an interview on "Fox News Sunday", CIA Director Mike Pompeo said he would not be surprised if North Korea carried out another missile test to advance its missile and nuclear programs.

Pompeo also said the intelligence community was not surprised by the recent news that North Korea is now capable of fitting a nuclear warhead on a missile.

They said the United States and its allies no longer can afford to stand by as North Korea pushes ahead with the development of a nuclear-tipped intercontinental ballistic missile. "Previous administrations haven't taken this on", Pompeo said.

Pompeo said "there's nothing imminent today", in response to a question about how anxious should people be over the escalating tensions.

Asked if that meant that he does not expect any future missile tests, Pompeo said he is "quite confident" that North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un "will continue to try to develop a missile program, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was another missile test".

"The U.S. military is locked and loaded every day", McMaster said, repeating Trump's threat. He said the US has a "pretty good idea" of North Korea's intentions, but Pompeo declined to provide specifics.

Meanwhile, North Korea said on Saturday that almost 3.5 million workers, party members and soldiers volunteered to join or rejoin its army to resist new U.N. sanctions and to fight against the United States in the current geopolitical tension between Pyongyang and Washington. The CIA chief described Kim as "rational" and responsive to "adverse circumstances". "President Trump has made it clear that it is his intention to protect the American people".

U.S. President Donald Trump has offered fiery warnings for North Korea, saying that the U.S. military was "locked and loaded".

He is expected on Monday to launch a trade investigation into China.

Trump has urged China to apply more pressure on North Korea.

Earlier this week, alarm bells sounded as North Korea warned that it was considering launching a salvo of four intermediate-range ballistic missiles towards Guam, home to thousands of civilians and troops, as well as numerous strategic military assets, as a show of force.

As the USA and North Korea traded jabs, many observers began to fear that the two countries might find themselves in a war that Secretary of Defense James Mattis previously said would be "catastrophic" and "tragic on an unbelievable scale".

D'autres rapports CampDesrEcrues

Discuter de cet article

SUIVRE NOTRE JOURNAL