North Korea Tests 3 More Missiles, Setting New Pace

Claudine Rigal
Août 28, 2017

I say this with the confidence of someone who has read countless US intelligence analyses - including those in the President's Daily Brief - of North Korea's ballistic missile and nuclear programs.

Also on Tuesday, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson praised Pyongyang for demonstrating "some level of restraint", noting that there had been "no missile launches or provocative acts on the part of North Korea", since the United Nations Security Council voted August 5 to impose a $1 billion sanctions package against the country.

One appeared to have blown up nearly immediately while two flew about 250 km in a northeasterly direction, Pacific Command said, revising an earlier assessment that two of the missiles had failed in flight.

North Korea threatened to launch ballistic missiles in a "ring of fire" around Guam after President Donald Trump threatened to hit the North with "fire and fury" if it persisted with its development of ICBMs.

"The first and third missiles. failed in flight". This made officials in the U.S. think the Kim Jong-un's restraint is a sign of respect to the U.S. However, all that hope diminished due to the recent missile launch.

Appearing on Fox News on Sunday, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said North Korea's latest missile launches were a clear violation of UN Security Council resolutions.

The drill was aimed at "assessing the feasibility of an operational plan to seize Baeknyeong and Yeonpyeong islands", the North's official Korean Central News Agency said.

According to office of South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff, the projectiles flew in a northeasterly direction for about 250 kilometers into the sea.

The North's move was immediately reported to South Korean President Moon Jae-in.

Later on Saturday, the South Korean Presidential Blue House said the North may have fired an upgraded 300-mm calibre multiple rocket launcher but the military was still analysing the precise details of the projectiles. The missiles reportedly fell into the sea. "Our prime minister told us to remain on high alert and do our best to respond to any situations in order to protect our people's lives and property".

At the forum, Pyongyang's envoy declared that it would "never" put its nuclear deterrent on the negotiating table even as USA disarmament ambassador Robert Wood fired a warning at North Korea.

Beginning Monday, The United States, South Korea and other nations are taking part in the Ulchi-Freedom Guardian military exercises. There, President Trump promised to discuss and achieve an agreement with South Korea regarding any action the United States may employ against North Korea.

Pyongyang has recently faced a wave of global sanctions over its test-firing of two intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) last month that apparently brought most of the United States into range for the first time.

D'autres rapports CampDesrEcrues

Discuter de cet article

SUIVRE NOTRE JOURNAL