Security to focus on footy finals' crowds

Claudine Rigal
Août 19, 2017

Prime minister Malcolm Turnbull announced the measures, commissioned following the July 2016 attack in Nice, would be released "shortly".

"We stand in absolute, resolute solidarity with the people of Spain in the fight against Islamist terrorism", Turnbull said, adding that "this is a global battle against terrorism". Several Australians are also thought to be among the victims.

"You'll see very close cooperation between state police, the football codes and the owners and operators of the venue in respect of security of those crowded places", his counter-terror chief Tony Sheehan said in Canberra on Friday.

"Following the attack in Nice previous year, the government has been working to improve the protection of Australians in public places".

The announcement follows the deadly terrorist attacks in Barcelona overnight. I asked [the former] commonwealth counter-terrorism coordinator, Greg Moriarty, to work on protecting crowded places in Australia.

"At this stage we understand three Australians have been injured, one seriously".

"Our consular officials are on their way to Barcelona from Madrid". But he hinted it would include new design guidelines for public infrastructure such as sporting venues and shopping centres.

He used the opportunity to tell Australians their intelligence agencies worked "tirelessly" to keep them safe, and said there was "no place for set-and-forget on national security".

Mr Turnbull said the report had been delivered to the Government but he would not discuss details of its recommendations.

"We'll have more to say when it is released, but it is obviously the responsibility of everyone to pay attention to the vulnerability of the crowded places that they're therefore responsible, and to bear that in mind", he said.

D'autres rapports CampDesrEcrues

Discuter de cet article

SUIVRE NOTRE JOURNAL