Turkish national killed in Burkina Faso attack

Claudine Rigal
Août 14, 2017

Two people were evacuated with injuries, including a foreigner, the report said. "That is why I am calling for vigilance, solidarity and unity of the whole nation to face up to the cowardice of our enemies". It shares a border with Mali, which has long battled Islamic extremists.

Seán Smith, the senior Africa analyst at global risk consultancy Verisk Maplecroft, says the attack illustrates how the threat of terrorism, previously confined to northern Mali, now looms large over most of the Sahel region.

Earlier, authorities had suggested that three assailants had been killed, but the minister revised down that figure.

The incident happened late Sunday when suspected Islamic extremists opened fire at a Turkish restaurant in the country's capital.

The Turkish Foreign Ministry confirmed in a statement that one of the victims was Turkish.

As groups linked to al-Qaida have carried out attacks in the area, the Times points out that the United Nations peacekeeping mission to Mali "has become one of the most risky in the world".

A statement from the French presidential palace said Macron, who is vacationing in the south of France, would speak about the situation Monday with Burkina Faso's president, Roch Marc Christian Kabore.

Burkinabe police patrol on 14 August 2017 in Ouagadougou, following a deadly attack by gunmen on a restaurant.

Dandjinou said security forces are seeking to free people still trapped inside.

Two gunmen in winter jackets arrived on a motorbike and bashed into a auto parked outside the Aziz Istanbul restaurant at about 9 p.m., according to Hassane Guebre, who works as a parking guard. So far, no claim of responsibility has been made. Witnesses reported hearing heavy gunfire for several hours after the initial raid.

In addition to those killed, eight others were wounded, Communications Minister Remi Dandjinou told journalists. He said two of the attackers were also killed.

He said the 18 victims were of different nationalities, both Burkinabes and foreigners.

Soldiers are deployed on the scene, with armoured vehicles as they launch an operation against suspected jihadists in the city.

Over 170 people were taken hostage and 30 were killed with Al-Qaeda claiming responsibility for that attack.

D'autres rapports CampDesrEcrues

Discuter de cet article

SUIVRE NOTRE JOURNAL