"Significant" arrest made in London subway bombing

Pierre Vaugeois
Septembre 16, 2017

The Philippine Embassy in London has urged Filipinos in the city to remain calm following the attack on a packed London Underground train that injured at least 29 people Friday.

Parsons Green station has reopened to passengers less than 24 hours after a 'fireball' bomb exploded in a train in the middle of rush hour yesterday.

Police said that there were no serious and life-threatening injuries, which are mainly flash burns.

"This investigation continues and the threat level remains at critical", the statement added.

The man is being held for questioning under the Terrorism Act. Rowley declined to say if the suspected bomber had been on the train, saying it was a live investigation.

Extra police and soldiers will be posted around major landmarks and sporting events in London this weekend.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, the senior national coordinator for counterterrorism policing, described it as a "significant arrest" but said the investigation continues.

Soldiers were deployed to key locations on the streets of the capital Friday, to free up police in the manhunt for the suspect.

She said military personnel will also replace officers on guard duties at certain protected sites which are not accessible to the public.

"I think Kiwi's who are there know the element of risk being in a place that's become a target", Mr English said.

This is the first arrest in connection with the incident.

An officer on the scene Saturday told CNN that transport through Parsons Green was "back to normal".

The last time the threat level was raised to critical was in May following an attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.

A renewed appeal for information was put out by the force, asking anyone with information to call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321 or 999 in an emergency.

D'autres rapports CampDesrEcrues

Discuter de cet article

SUIVRE NOTRE JOURNAL