Clashes Continue Between Palestinians, Israeli Forces in Jerusalem

Pierre Vaugeois
Juillet 22, 2017

A Palestinian teenager was killed during clashes in the East Al-Quds neighborhood of Ras al-Amoud, medical sources told Ma'an, as witnesses said that the youth was shot by an Israeli settler.

Palestinian leaders in Jerusalem have called for a "day of rage" this morning as peace talks have broken down, with Israeli forces refusing to remove security from an historic mosque that was closed after gun violence.

On July 14, three Arab Israelis opened fire on Israeli police, killing two officers, before fleeing to the compound, where security forces shot them dead.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Friday expressed concern about the situation in the Old City of Jerusalem, which has been the scene of escalating violence in recent days between Israelis and Palestinians.

There are reports of small skirmishes in Jerusalem, after Muslims gathered for Friday afternoon prayers outside Al-Aqsa mosque.

Israeli forces used tear gas, water cannon and rubber bullets to try to disperse crowds hurling stones and bottles.

Tensions have soared since two Israeli policemen were killed last Friday.

The compound, which also houses the golden-roofed Dome of the Rock, is considered the third holiest site in Islam and the holiest site in Judaism.

Israeli police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld said reinforcements have been deployed in and around the Old City.

Israel began installing metal detectors at the gates of the compound, saying extra measures were needed to prevent further attacks. Any changes there are often regarded by Palestinians, who claim East Jerusalem as the capital of a sought-after state, as a violation of these arrangements. This is an aggression against those who wish to visit the holy sites found in Jerusalem and an attack on the rights of the Palestinian people.

Despite worldwide pressure to remove the metal detectors, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's security cabinet decided in Friday's early hours to keep them in place, saying they were needed to prevent arms being smuggled into the shrine.

Ahmad Din, 65, said that he had managed to enter the Old City through the first checkpoint but was unable to reach the mosque itself.

D'autres rapports CampDesrEcrues

Discuter de cet article