Lee Selby commands Carl Frampton: Forget Andre Gutierrez... fight me next

Solenn Plantier
Juillet 31, 2017

Frampton appears to agree with Selby and in his column in the Sunday Life newspaper yesterday he stated he is setting his sights on a world title fight before Christmas.

"After a long training camp of intense preparation and trying to make weight, I was disappointed that I came in 1lb over the featherweight limit today", Frampton said. Gutierrez could have still become mandatory challenger for WBC champion Gary Russell with a win had he not been injured. It was a freak accident.

Selby is keen for a domestic duel and warned Frampton he will not be hanging around as he eyes up a clash in October or November.

Financial purse compensation for Gutierrez had been agreed in order to allow the bout to progress before the Mexican later suffered a freaky accident, slipping in his hotel-room shower, which resulted in cuts to his chin and nose while he also lost two teeth in the fall. I am also sorry to my family who I have spent the last three months from preparing for the fight and I am sorry for the wonderful people who buy tickets to come and support me. "Ideally I'd like the Principality Stadium in Cardiff because it is a stone's throw away from Barry [his home town]".

Cyclone Promotions quickly set about rescheduling the event but have been struggling to find available dates at the SSE Arena in Belfast and Gutierrez may not be ready to fight again until November.

The fight was due to be Frampton's homecoming bout after losing to Leo Santa Cruz in Las Vegas back in January.

Should Frampton get a title shot so soon it would be a great boost for the 23-1 fighter. Both Frampton and Cyclone vehemently denied such allegations, while pictures and TV footage of Gutierrez's injuries clearly showed that the Mexican was badly injured.

Promoter Barry McGuigan said that Gutierrez had slipped in the shower and suffered concussion along with a number of facial wounds.

Gutierrez's team could not be reached for comment last night.

However, the Belfast native dismissed social-media conspiracy theories over the fight cancellation.

D'autres rapports CampDesrEcrues

Discuter de cet article

SUIVRE NOTRE JOURNAL