Vice President condemns Barcelona terror attack

Claudine Rigal
Août 20, 2017

He is thought to be one of a dozen members of a jihadi cell that first planned a bomb attack, but switched to a vehicle attack after improvised explosives they were building unexpectedly went off, destroying a rental house they were using as a base of operations at the town of Alcanar, south of Barcelona.

A Canadian killed in a terrorist attack on a popular street in Barcelona was described by his family as a man who enjoyed lively debate and travelling.

"What the US should be doing in the aftermath of a horror like this that's visited upon our ally, and of course Spain is a NATO ally, is showing steady strength and resolve and solidarity with our Spanish partners", she said. The explosion killed two members of the jihadist cell, police say. "And for 25 years, there wasn't a problem".

The president said "all sides" were to blame for her death and the violence.

She said it was particularly "disgusting" to see Trump mention it in the wake of the Barcelona attacks.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Friday that in addition to the Canadian who was killed, four other Canadians were injured in the terrorist attack.

According to reports, he told police he was not involved and his documents were stolen.

Canadian officials Friday still advised Canadians in Barcelona to avoid the Las Ramblas area, where Thursday's attack occurred, and follow directions from local authorities.

Officials in France, where the group is believed to have rented a van used in the attack, were also searching for the suspects, officials said.

People weren't sure whether gunshots heard were coming inside the building, and were terrified that there might be a shooter in the hotel, Gray said.

As the hours passed, the Gray family learned more about what was actually happening through social media.

The regional government of Catalonia refused to confirm this information.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said Friday Canadian authorities always step up vigilance at home when an attack like this happens elsewhere.

Three are Moroccan and one is Spanish, and none of them were previously known to security services for terror-related reasons.

Anca Gurzu, a Canadian from Ottawa, was in a nearby neighbourhood when the Barcelona attack took place, but only realized what was going on after receiving a frantic call from a friend. "That's what they use to recruit individuals to their fight to come and become radicalized", she said.

"The party's basically been shut down", he said.

The crowds chanted "I am not afraid! And he didn't get there by bullying people".

"People are trying to just move on".

D'autres rapports CampDesrEcrues

Discuter de cet article

SUIVRE NOTRE JOURNAL